Parents/Guardians – Please note that I will be presenting this information at our next School Council Meeting on Wednesday, April 27 at 7:00 p.m. At this time we will provide opportunities for feedback. You can also provide feedback to the OCDSB – HERE
The Secondary School Program Review was initiated in 2011 to review the way programs and services are delivered in secondary schools, using the lens of equity of access and breadth of programming. The goals of the review were:
- to create a better understanding of secondary school programming in order to align District decision making to position our students for academic achievement and well-being;
- to address whether there were barriers to student success found in the programs, and if so, to identify solutions; and
- to look at secondary schools and their programs as a collective to inform future planning.
The Secondary School Review included seven major areas of study, including:
The review will make recommendations for changes to the OCDSB Secondary School Program Framework. The framework provides guiding principles for the District’s secondary program offerings and establishes guidelines for the different types of program delivery models. It is the organizational template for how secondary school programs should be offered in the District.
Guiding Principles of the Secondary School Program Framework:
- Equity of access to, and breadth of programming in all community schools (the primary model of secondary school program delivery);
- Equity of access to inter-school programs and District programs for learning not offered in the community school;
- To minimize transitions;
- Program viability and sustainability; and
- Digital fluency.
The school district is undertaking a community wide consultation process to obtain feedback on the recommendations of the Secondary School Review. The goals of the consultation are to:
- engage stakeholders in building their understanding about the Secondary School Review; how it came to be; and the work that has been accomplished;
- have a collaborative dialogue about the revised Secondary School Program Framework, how it will impact student learning and what considerations need to be addressed in the implementation stage;
- discuss how the proposed recommendations support the vision of secondary schools of the future and how this will inform future pupil accommodation review processes; and
- obtain specific feedback on the Secondary School Review recommendations;
Who can participate?
We encourage everyone to participate in this process. The programming and structure of our secondary schools affects the way that all of our programs and services can be offered. We welcome feedback from all parents, students, staff, community members, and the general public.
How will the consultation occur?
There are several ways you can participate:
- Attend a Discussion Forum;
- Participate in a school council meeting discussion;
- Attend a presentation at an OCDSB Advisory Committee meeting or OCASC meeting;
- Participate or watch our Google Hangout; and
- Review the resource material and send us your comments electronically.
There will be four discussion forums held across the city. The Forums will be held from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on:
April 12th at Gloucester High School;
April 13th at the Confederation Education Centre;
- April 27th at Hillcrest High School; and
- May 5th at AY Jackson Secondary School.
Please register online for the forum you wish to attend. Registration will begin after Wednesday, April 6th.
The Google Hangout is an online version of the Discussion Forum. You can participate live on April 28th at 3:30 p.m. Can’t make that date? The session will be recorded and available online after that date. Please register on line in advance if you want to participate in the live Google Hangout.
School Council Meetings
We have encouraged school councils and principals to consider scheduling this issue for discussion at a school council meeting in April or May. Check your school website for more information about upcoming school council meetings.
Advisory Committee and Ottawa-Carleton Assembly of School Councils (OCASC) meetings
This item will be topic of discussion on the agendas of many of our advisory committee meetings. Take a look at this list to see if there is a meeting that suits your schedule:
- 13 April 2016 Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) meeting;
- 14 April 2016 Secondary OCASC meeting;
- 18 April 2016 Alternative Schools Advisory Committee;
- 21 April 2016 OCASC meeting;
- 25 April 2016 Advisory Committee on the Arts Staff presentation;
- 27 April 2016 Special Education Advisory Committee meeting;
- 28 April 2016 Advisory Committee on Equity Staff presentation; and
- 05 May 2016 Student Summit Meeting (Joint Student Senate and Student Council Presidents’ meeting).
Submit your feedback electronically
If you are unable to attend one of our sessions and wish to submit your feedback electronically, please use the following link after Wednesday, April 6th.
Where can I get more information?
The District website (www.ocdsb.ca) has detailed information about the Secondary School Review and includes background information on each of the seven working groups, their reports, background research and the summary report of the Review.
If you have questions on this process, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org